Heavy with nostalgia and as thoroughly British as a BBQ in the rain, Rock Cakes are as messy to bake as they are childishly fun to eat. This recipe was very kindly shared by my Boyfriend’s mum, Leonie, and represents something of a family favorite.
*8oz self-raising flour *a pinch of salt *2.5 oz soft butter *2.5 oz sugar *4oz dried fruit (But Leonie adds more!) *half a teaspoon nutmeg (and half hundred weight of mixed spice or whatever you fancy) *1 egg *2 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to gas 6/190Oc (cooler if you have a fan oven) and grease a big baking tray.
2. Sieve the flour and salt into a big bowl and rub the fat into it until it has a breadcrumb like consistency.
3. Stir in the sugar, spice and fruit.
4. Beat the egg with milk and add then add to the mixture and fold into the mixture. It should be stiff but not too sticky and will leave the sides of bowl clean.
5. Using clean, but now messy hands, divide into 12 ish balls and put on the tray. Sprinkle with a little sugar and then bake in the oven for about 15-20 mins.
Ideally these cakes will look but not taste like rocks and will taste super with a cuppa or a tall glass of milk. They go well with a smile, which is exactly what you will have on your face after the old-fashioned delight of whipping them up. Thank you Leonie for sharing another marvellous family recipe! Yum x