Today I turned 28 and to celebrate I threw a little shin-dig with the world’s worst punch (I made a pinacolada that actually solidified before the end of the party) and a little pub quiz with the world’s best prize (a bottle of Blue Nun, oh yes). I also made this dorky and e-number-tastic cake. I have to admit I was pretty proud of it…
*500g self raising flour *500g caster sugar *500g unsalted butter *7 medium eggs *2 tsp baking powder *vanilla extract *250g butter *lots of icing sugar (about 300g-ish) *a lick of milk *food colouring in what-ever you fancy *sweets or sprinkles to decorate – as much as you like
1. Pre-heat the oven to about 170Oc and in as big a bowl as you have cream the butter (500g) and caster sugar.
2. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Add the flour and baking powder as you go.
3. Split the mixture into 5 bowls and add the food colouring to each bowl.
4. Grease as many sandwich tins as you have (I had three) and add 1 colour to each tin (I had to do mine in two stages) and bake for about twenty minutes until a thin cocktail stick comes out of the mixture clean.
5. Cool the sponges and then stack neatly on top of one another.
6. Cream the block of butter (250g) and as much icing sugar as you can to get it creamy and smooth. Add some milk if you need to and lots of vanilla.
7. Use a knife to spread the icing all over the bike and then chuck as many sprinkles and colourful sweets and hundreds and thousands as you have, all over the cake.
8. Eat. It will feed LOTS and LOTS of your friends!