My boyfriend is better than me at LOADS of things: putting on an array of convincing accents, winning at racing-car computer games, seemingly knowing the answer to any pub quiz question.. but cooking, generally, not so much.
However this dinner – a hot and juicy red thai prawn curry – is just outrageously good and tastes utterly ace with a nice cool brewski.
*1 tbsp vegetable oil *1 red onion *1-2 tsp root ginger *3-4 tsp red thai curry paste *400g chopped tomatoes *50g coconut cream *400g juicy big prawns *chopped coriander (fresh or dried).
1. Heat the oil in a wok and tip in some chopped onion and finely chopped ginger. Cook for a few minutes until it is soft.
2. Stir in the curry paste and cook for another minute (add the paste to taste – I like hot and spicy lovin’ curries).
3. Pour the chopped tomatoes into the pan and the coconut cream and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for about five minutes and should the mixture get thick, just add some water.
4. Tip in the prawns and cook for about 5-10 minutes more (depending on how large the prawns are) until they look juicy and cooked.
5. Serve on a bed of boiled basmati rice and sprinkle a touch of chopped coriander should you wish.
There we go. I am not taking anything away from him-indoors, but it really is very easy and speedy and tastes pretty fab. Boyfriends and girlfriends, wives and husbands, all who think you can’t cook – try this one out as I promise you can do it!