Well, I don’t know about you… but the morning after the night before regularly makes me think “Oh no mojitos!!” as I stumble through my hungover, cloudy mind steeped in sludge and try and fathom the tipping point from sanity into debauchery. Between the last tube home and the nightbus. Between just a cheeky pint and “drinks are on me everybody!”… And that moment, almost inevitably, involves my first sip of a damn good mojito.
This recipe was roadtested at the weekend and it works:
*A big bunch of mint, muddled not mashed-up too hard *Fresh lime *3 big teaspoons of sugar *As nice as you like it White Rum *Soda water *Crushed ice
1. You can do this – thankfully – very easily. Muddle the fresh mint in a cocktail shaker, add the sugar and heaps of freshly squeezed lime juice.
2. I would add a very generous glug of rum but do it to taste.
3. Chuck in your sugar and give it a stir and a shake.
4. Add some crushed ice and pour into four highballs.
5. Top up with soda water and more mint if you desire.
Really very simple and evokes Cuba and party-samba-beats in an instant. Just beware… naughtiness may ensue.. you have been warned!