It’s still winter which means it’s still perfectly legitimate to scoff stodge. Lots and lots of stodge. And this is about as stodgy as it gets: garlic sausage, cheddar mash, a few token peas (for a bit of green on the plate) and onion, mustard gravy. Yum.
* 6 x garlic sausages *4 medium maris piper potatoes *1 onion *2 handfuls of grated cheddar *peas *knob of butter *full fat milk *beef gravy *Dijon mustard *salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the grill and cook the sausages (mine are always the Squiggly pig ones from the Oval market, which cannot be beaten).
2. Meanwhile, peel the tats and boil in salty water. Chop the onion and place in a frying pan.
3. After about twenty minutes mash the potatoes, on a gentle heat, add the butter, cheese and milk. Purree until smooth and gooey. Leave to cook through.
4. Fry the onion and boil the peas, heat the gravyand add the mustard. Tip in the onions.
5. Throw everything on a plate, season like crazy and then devour.
An easy post-pub dinner that tastes properly wholesome and tingles your tastebuds. Yum.