In Curb Your Enthusiasm, we are invited to delve into Larry David’s world and the imbiciles and berks who inhabit it with him. For Larry, like Satre, hell is other people and he just cannot shake them no matter how hard he tries. Every episode, guaranteed to provide a belly-full of laughs and a big handful of squirmy I-can’t-watch moments, presents us moral dillemmas and questions our understanding of social etiquate.
When IS it too late to call someone at home in the evening? DO you shake someone’s hand if you’ve just met but you saw them sneeze? Loads of the episodes also feature awesome encounters with food and dining and my favourite are listed below:
10. Larry, summing up what alot of us must feel from one time to another asks: “What is this compulsion to have people over at your house and serve them food and talk to them?”
9. In another of his surreal too-much-time-on-his-hands moments, Larry – stuffing fruit into his mouth – ponders ”How many do you think I can get in my mouth at a time?”
8. Another day, another awkward confrontation.
Larry is out for lunch and muses: “I think I am just going to get a Cobb Salad. I’d like to make a few substitutions, if that’s OK. I’ll get… no bacon. No eggs. Blue cheese on the side.”… to which Cliff Cobb asks: “Are you sure you want a Cobb Salad? Do you do that every time you order that salad?”
Larry interjects: ”Do you have a problem with it?”
Cliff Cobb: “It’s my grandfather’s salad. I’m a Cobb of Cobb salad fame.”
Larry goes in for the home-run: “I think that this is a real bull shit story.”
7. The amazing Suzie Greene, wife of gorgeous Geoff, is showing Larry a gawdy, horrific sequined top she has made: “Now, is this cute? I mean how much fun is this? Huh? Great, right?”… Larry respond “You know, it’s nice… Not quite my cup of tea, but… y’know, uh, it’s nice.” Not standing for this Susie bites back: “All right, you know what? Fuck you… and fuck your tea.” And that’s one of her more gentler moments. Seriously.
6. Cantankerous Larry suspects that Alan has stolen the prawns from his dinner and will NOT let it drop…
Larry: How were the garlic noodles the other night?
Alan Wasserman: What?
Larry: The garlic noodles?
Alan Wasserman: I didn’t touch your garlic noodles.
Larry: I didn’t say you touched my garlic noodles. They were your garlic noodles.
Alan Wasserman: Right.
Larry: But you did touch the shrimp.
5. More reflections from Larry, “Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn’t work as a pie. Grape pie? There’s no grape pie.”
4. Alarmed by the low number of cashew nuts in the Health-Glo Brand of mixed nuts (which David Schwimmer’s (fictitious) dad owns) causes Larry to declare: “The whole cashew-raisin balance is askew!”
3. Larry David is describing a Swiss Army knife and asks if his companion knows what Switzerland is. He sums it up thus: “Switzerland is a place where they don’t like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate”
2. Still mad at the world, Larry goes to buy some ice-cream only to be utterly maddened by the ‘sampler abuser” at the ice-cream store who goes through every flavour before settling on vanilla. I am whole and sqaure behind him on this one!!
1. Larry David has a sandwich invented for him at his deli. However, there’s a problem. His sandwich has white fish, sabel, capers, onions, and cream cheese. It sounds, and no doubt tastes, disgusting. Larry unsuccessfully tried trading it with Ted Danson for his sandwich which was infinately miles more popular.
So. Some pretty pretty pretty pretttttty good quotes there. Did I miss any rippers? Any Larry moments that you love? X